Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Black and White

"Photography does not create eternity, as art does; it embalms time, rescuing it simply from its proper corruption."
-André Bazin

In 2005, for Christmas, my mother bought me what I had always wanted. An SLR. 

This wasn't just any old SLR camera, it was a grey manual Nikon. My high school graduation was rapidly approaching, I was taking a black and white photography class, and I wanted something to capture all of the amazing skills and techniques I was learning. My teacher at the time, Ms. Wescott, despised digital cameras and color photos. We were relegated to learning black and white film techniques, developing film and learning pinhole photography. To this day, it is the best class that I've ever taken. Almost 7 years later, I still have my notebook...and my camera. 

I rarely get the chance to develop anymore, and even more rare is the opportunity to digitalize my film photos. Nonetheless, the pictures below are ones that were taken a few years back for a friend (even some of the 2009 Inauguration of President Obama). 

The kind of age that you get (in contrast as well as in depth) on photographs in a film camera is unmatched, and the authenticity of these photos is one of the many things that I treasure most about film cameras.

Enjoy!














No comments:

Post a Comment